onsdag 27 februari 2013

En hyllning till prärien: 1


Homesteaders i Nebraska 1888


O prairie mother, I am one of your boys.
I have loved the prairie as a man with a heart shot full of pain over love.
Here I know I will hanker after nothing so much as one more sunrise or a sky moon of fire doubled to a river moon of water.
. . .
I speak of new cities and new people.
I tell you the past is a bucket of ashes.       
I tell you yesterday is a wind gone down,
a sun dropped in the west.
I tell you there is nothing in the world
only an ocean of to-morrows,
a sky of to-morrows.       
I am a brother of the cornhuskers who say
at sundown:
To-morrow is a day.

Från den långa dikten "Prarie" ur Cornhuskers (1918) av Carl Sandburg

2 kommentarer:

Hanneles bokparadis sa...

sett fantastiskt vacker prärieträdgård i England

Ingrid sa...

Hannele: En sådan skulle jag vilja ha... fast man behöver nog stora ytor....