söndag 31 maj 2009

Robert Service


Robert Service är vildmarkens diktare- och jag tycker att han är extra aktuell just nu eftersom Kanadensisk litteratur har kommit på tapeten (på grund av all uppmärksamhet kring Alice Munro).
-

The Spell Of The Yukon
-
I wanted the gold, and I sought it,
I scrabbled and mucked like a slave.
Was it famine or scurvy -- I fought it;
I hurled my youth into a grave.
I wanted the gold, and I got it --
Came out with a fortune last fall, --
Yet somehow life's not what I thought it,
And somehow the gold isn't all.
------------------
There's gold, and it's haunting and haunting;
t's luring me on as of old;
Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Inga kommentarer: